Women's Health     Early Education     K-12    

How do I find a school for my special needs child?

If your child has been classified with a learning disability or other classification qualifying for special education services, the best place to start is your home school district. They would have already convened a Committee on Special Education (CSE) where they created an Individualized Education Plan (IEP) for your child. That IEP serves as a road map for your child’s education. Your home school district most likely will be able to provide all of the appropriate services for your child. However, members of the CSE would also be able to recommend a specific school based on your child’s classification.

Deborah McLean
Head of Lower School
Poughkeepsie Day School
Poughkeepsie, NY 12603