Pet Tips     Home and Family    

We love our pets: Pet tips and advice

Tips for you from our trusted veterinarians

We love our pets - tips and advice

When it comes to flea and tick control, a preventative approach is best.

"It's not only taking a preventative approach but choosing your approach wisely," said veterinarian, Alex Barrientos of Earth Angels Veterinary Hospital in Wappinger Falls. "When you are choosing what to do, be careful-the strongest and toughest are not necessarily the safest."

Pay attention to both a treatment's efficacy and potential harmful side-effects for your pet and family members.

While only 2 percent of the flea population is on pets, one tick can bite and infect your pet more than once. And, with the remaining 98 percent of fleas lurking in your pet's environment, ridding your house of the pests is important, especially since flea eggs can survive for up to two years in home. Plus, ticks are hardy-they can withstand winter months under snow cover.

Full Circle Veterinary Hospital in Wappingers Falls recommends a combination of traditional and holistic flea and tick prevention for pets, including topicals, collars and chewable tablets. Often external products consist of essential oils that deter biting bugs but don't kill them, leaving pets vulnerable to getting bitten from the insects.

Because tick-borne diseases can cause joint, organ and other potentially permanent problems that may or may not be evident, Full Circle does semi-annual blood tests for pets. As well, flea infestations can cause itching, severe skin irritations, loss of fur and mange. If a pet becomes ill from a bite, medication or hospitalization may be needed.

"Just because it gets cold, doesn't mean that ticks have gone away," said Christine Pupek, Full Circle's practice manager. Go with whichever treatment suits your lifestyle, shesaid, and make it an on-going habit.

Veterinarian Hope Jankunas of Companion Pet Hospital in Fishkill and Carmel said it's a mistake to believe that pets confined to a home's yard aren't susceptible to flea and tick bites or to discount the insects if they aren't perceived a problem.

"We routinely see cats that are indoor pets and do get ticks and fleas," said Jankunas, possibly from other indoor/outdoor pets in the home or family members who may have tracked them in.

In fact, for every adult flea, she said, thousands of eggs and pupae are hiding in home's carpets and floorboards. Fortunately, there are many preventative products to choose from for dogs, cats and horses, including short- and longer-term treatments. Of the options, Jankunas prefers pharmaceutical solutions for tick control as she's found them highly effective. 

"It's much easier to prevent than to treat then prevent," she said.

More Pet Tips

  • Keeping pets safe in the garden

    Hazards that can impact the well-being of your furry friends

    If you have pets that enjoy spending time outdoors, it’s important to make sure your yard is a safe place for them to be. read more »
  • Join the Goat Games 2021

    Farmed Animal Sanctuaries Across the Nation Unite to Raise Funds and Awareness

    Co-hosted by the Global Federation of Animal Sanctuaries, The Goat Games will rally the support of animal welfare champions across the U.S. read more »
  • Fun Winter Project for The Birds!

    Give the birds a little treat in this chilly season

    With the snow coming down it is always fun to do a little craft. We love all of the birds our region is home to and we figured why not make them a little treat*? And so, our search for how to make popcorn balls for birds began. read more »
  • What are the rules for pet care and COVID-19

    Caring for your pet during the pandemic. Advice from Dr. Alex of Earth Angels.

    How do I keep both my pets and my family safe during this pandemic. Advice and tips on the best pet care during the COVID-19 pandemic from Earth Angels Veterinary Hospital . read more »
  • Keep pets cozy in the cold

    Follow these cold-weather tips for your furry friends

    Expert advice from Full Circle Veterinary Hospital on keeping pets safe when it's cold out. read more »
  • 2019 We Love Our Pets Winners

    Meet the winners of our contest

    Dozens of Hudson Valley pet moms and dads showed off their furbabies and here are the winners! read more »
  • Keeping Your Pets Healthy

    Local veterinarians share their inside secrets for keeping your pets healthy

    Pets are am important part of family life. This special section called "Keeping Pets Healthy" shares information about the most up-to-date information about veterinary care read more »
  • Create a Lasting Friendship Between Pet and Baby

    Tips for bringing baby home

    Tips for introducing your pet to your newborn safely. read more »