Is your child gifted?

Here's how to find out

  • If your child is entering kindergarten or you have just moved into a new school district in New York State, your local public schools may be able to provide testing services either through a gifted specialist or school psychologist.
  • If this is not an option, then seek an outside independent counseling service in your area, preferably one that has psychologists who specialize in gifted issues.
  • Another option is to contact your local BOCES (Board of Cooperative Educational Services) to find out if they have a gifted specialist on staff. If so, this person may be able to offer suggestions or recommendations.


Courtesy of Advocacy for Gifted and Talented Education in New York State (AGATE)


Want to know more... check out's Blogger Patty Phelan, Attorney specializing in Advocacy for Families with Special Needs Children