I made it my goal this week to try a variety of “quirky” health foods. I’ll have you know I was a bit worried at first. I thought I’d spend my nights gagging at the dinner table rather than enjoying my home-cooked meals. I divided the oddities up into two categories: Beverages and Food. Below are my VERY scientific findings.
1. Kombucha: I’ll be honest… I was afraid to drink kombucha. Not because of the look or odd texture – it was the smell. There was a pungent aroma filling the air as soon as I opened the bottle – VINEGAR! Surprisingly enough, I loved the Kombucha. I only bought one bottle to start, but went back to the grocery story last night to buy a few more. I’ll definitely keep kombucha in my arsenal of healthy foods.
2. Yerba Mate: I love tea, but being from the South, I’m more accustom to sweet tea. HOWEVER, I liked the Yerba Mate tea. I was expecting it to taste like dirt and grass (only because that’s what I imagine when someone describes beverages as earthy). I was pleasantly surprised by the taste and didn’t even have a desire to add a few heaping tablespoons of sugar!
3. Pu-erh Tea: The same can be said for Pu-erh tea. It had a strong earthy taste that was quite pleasant. I was expecting it to be a dense tea, but found it to be rather refreshing and light.
1. Chia Seeds: It took some searching to find these chia seeds. I was almost to the point of just buying a chia pet and taking out the seeds for myself, BUT I didn’t. I found them at this great organic market near my house. I tried the seeds 2 ways. I popped a handful in my mouth, which wasn’t the best idea in my opinion. I had a lot of seeds stuck to the inside of my mouth. Then I used the chia seeds as an additional health source in my morning protein shake. The seeds didn’t change the texture of my protein shake at all. They’re pretty much just like flax seeds.
2. Marmite: I will NEVER eat marmite again. This is another thing that I had to do some searching for, but I
unfortunately found it. It’s a nasty thick paste with a fishy, dirty, yucky flavor (Please pardon my child-like review).
3. Kimchee: I tried kimchee at local restaurant. The way it was described to me (fermented veggies) made me a bit nervous to try it, but it wasn’t bad. I don’t think I’d willingly order it again, but if I had to eat it, I think I could.
What oddball health foods do you like? Let me know by commenting below!
Want to join the discussion about this topic? Click here.
Permanent Link: http://hvparent.com/health-food-isnt-so-bad
Feb 1, 2013
If you’ve read my blog once, you know I was an overweight kid. For the majority of my life I was in the “obese” or “morbidly obese” BMI category. I wasn’t overweight because I was lazy. That’s the part that blew my mind.
I was always active as a child. I was a cheerleader from the time I started ki...
Jan 21, 2013
As I said last week, I’m getting back on track. My goal is to lose 30 pounds before my birthday on July 7.
I can do it! [positive thinking never hurts!]
I’m more determined than ever to get these final 30 pounds off and keep it off. Last week everything just clicked and I realized…...
Jan 16, 2013
Don’t you just hate those people that can eat anything and not gain an ounce? I know I do.
After losing 130 pounds, I’ve gotten off the health nut bandwagon a little bit (thanks to the holidays). I still have 35 pounds to lose, so I’m determined to lose it before my 25th birthday i...
Jan 15, 2013
My mom, me and dad playing in the snow!
I don’t want to brag or anything, but I was the nicest kid anyone could ever meet… until (DUH DUH DUH) middle school. In middle school, I think the devil possessed my body (not literally, but my parents may disagree). If there was an argument to b...
Dec 14, 2012
Provided by Newtown Bee
This morning a masked gunman entered Sandy Hook Elementary school in Newtown, Connecticut. 27 people were killed including 18 children. Several others are being treated for wounds.
I’m not exactly sure what to say right now, but I feel the need to say something.
Although I d...
Oct 12, 2012
October is, by far, my favorite month of the year… Sweater season gets ushered in by the cooler weather, trees are adorned with colorful leaves, candy apples and cider make their first debut of the year and the Yankees are in the playoffs.
There is no doubting the fact that I’m a sports junkie. Af...
Sep 21, 2012
I must admit… I’m a BIG fan of Dance Moms on Lifetime. Honestly, I get sick of hearing people bash the overbearing dance teacher, Abby. Sure, she’s tough on her dancers… but hey, that’s life!
I took jazz, tap and ballet when I was younger. I was never on a competition squad, so at the e...
Aug 3, 2012
Mayor Bloomberg discusses his goal to eliminate formula samples in hospital gift bags
Mayor Bloomberg has been all over the news lately. First he wants to take away soda and now he’s decided to take away baby formula! Okay, so he’s still in the process of turning his plans into laws, but who knows… ...
Jul 27, 2012
I’ve been called the “black sheep” in my family so many times; I don’t even know where to begin.
Every woman in my family works in the public schools system, but I refused to go to school to be a teacher.
My entire family lives within a 10 mile radius from the epicenter of Monroe, North Carolina… I...
Jul 13, 2012
“The best laid plans of mice and men often go astray (or awry depending on whom you talk to).”
This phrase holds true in so many aspects of life… especially dieting! This week, I have been on my family vacation in Rehoboth Beach, Delaware. It’s a great family-oriented beach with amazing amenities. ...
Jul 6, 2012
“People shop for a bathing suit with more care than they do a husband or wife, but the rules are the same… Look for something you’ll feel comfortable wearing and allow for room to grow.” ~ Erma Bombeck
EEK it’s bathing suit season! But wait… I’m still pudgy and pale! I had dreams of los...
Jun 22, 2012
I admit… I haven’t been as strict with my diet since I started working here at Hudson Valley Parent.
I have one can of soda in the AM to wake me up (I’m not a big fan of coffee) and my breakfast usually consists of something I can grab and eat in the car like a breakfast bar or fru...
Jun 15, 2012
Some times it’s the small things that make a big difference in life. Other times, it’s the big things that make a bigger difference. Allow me to explain…
The last day of 8th grade, the entire graduating 8th grade class went on a field trip to Carowinds, a local amusement park. I ...
Jun 8, 2012
Weight Watchers, Jenny Craig, HcG Pills, B12 Shots, South Beach Diet, Grapefruit Diet, Phentremine, Hydroxycut, Nutrisystem….
Been there, done that.
The day I started 7th grade was the day I started my first diet. Prior to that day, my diet consisted of pizza, fried chicken, candy, soda, pota...
May 31, 2012
Hello readers, as boring as it may be, I'm going to start out by introducing myself to you all...
I'm Brittany and I'm the newest addition to the Hudson Valley Parent family. About 4 months ago, I was hired as the Editorial Assistant. I must say, I really love working here at HVParent. Our entire...