Getting your child ready for summer camp can be a stressful time for all involved, so here is a helpful list of "camp essentials" to have packed as your child goes off to either a day camp, or one of the Hudson Valley's sleep away camps.
Essentials for campers:
Each day camp has different activities, but most offer some kind of water sports and outdoor sports. Here’s a basic list to start with:
· bathing suit and a towel
· individual sunscreen
· a water bottle
· a hat
· sneakers for team sports
· flip flops for walking around
· sweatshirt in case the day turns cold
· young children can bring a change of clothing
Overnight camp programs usually run in three- to four-week increments, so pack accordingly.
· bed linens
· one week’s worth of clothes (most have laundry facilities)*
· light-weight clothing
· a rain slicker
· a sweater or sweatshirt
· a jacket
· toothbrush, toothpaste, soap and other toiletries
· reading materials
· bug spray and sunscreen
* name tags are either sown or ironed onto all clothing and bed linens
Robert Lachman is an award-winning journalist who lives in Red Hook. He has worked for many local newspapers and is also a singer songwriter who performs in the area.