We are a New York-based company that published its first issue of Hudson Valley PARENT in 1994, which is still the Mid-Hudson Valley New York's only monthly parenting publication.
Our mission is to serve parents by providing reliable LOCAL information of interest to our readers. The magazines are free and available at more than 950 sites in Orange, Dutchess, Ulster, and Sullivan counties...the mid-Hudson Valley of New York.
We publish 25,000 magazines each month with a readership of more than 55,000 people. Our readers are primarily middle- and-upper-income mothers whose children range in age from infants to 14 years. We categorize our articles based on the age of the children: newborns and kids under 5; grade school kids up to the age of 9 years old; tweens up to age of 14 years old
Topic areas include camps, schools, health, family life, enrichment program and places to go.
We want stories that focus on local families and Hudson Valley family life. Helping parents parent is our theme.
We actively seek submissions from freelance writers. Many are based in the mid-Hudson Valley of New York, although some are national writers. We typically run three feature articles in each publication every month (700-1,200 words). We look for carefully researched features by writers with well-developed interviewing styles and a clear knowledge of our audience. First-person accounts are preferred, as our research shows that our readers want to read about other people and their experiences. Clear, concise prose is expected.
Articles are due at least four months prior to publication. For example, a story slated to run in our November issue would need to be in our offices by the first week of June. Specific dates vary from month to month, but, if you are assigned a story, the editor will let you know your deadline and word count when the assignment is explained. We prefer that you submit your article via e-mail. We accept Windows-based Word documents as attachments or you can embed your article into the e-mail. Send all information to firstname.lastname@example.org. We ask that you only submit articles that have not previously run in our territory.
We generally pay $80 for locally-slanted, assigned one-page story of 700-800 words, $90-$120 for 1,200 word or more features. Our fees for reprints are between $25-$35 depending on the word count. Any unsolicited, non-locally-slanted feature is treated as a reprint and payment will be made based on the word count mentioned above. All writers are paid through direct deposit and are usually posted within one week of publication. Current magazines are posted on our website.
We purchase first time rights for assigned features or other assigned articles. (We have the exclusive right to publish this story in print in the Hudson Valley of New York including Orange, Ulster, Dutchess and Sullivan Counties.) We also purchase on-line rights for local articles to be posited on our websites including excitingread.com and all its associated websites. For reprints, one-time rights are generally what we purchase. Please let our editor know if you do not wish to have your articles posted on our web sites.
Hudson Valley Parent has the exclusive right to publish this story in print in the Hudson Valley of New York including Orange, Ulster, Dutchess and Sullivan Counties.
Advice to New Writers
1. It might be helpful to read a few back issues of our publications to get a feel for our editorial content and style of writing. Review several of the past month's magazines.
2. If you are interested in writing for us, email our editor at email@example.com. Include your name, phone number and best time to reach you. Also attach sample writings you have done so our editor can review your style of writing. You should also include topics which you enjoy writing about.
3. Although most stories are assigned, feel free to submit queries with a few ideas you think might interest our readers. Describe any preliminary research you will complete and list other sources you plan to consult. Sell your story idea to us; tell us why we should publish it. If you don't believe in the topic, (or can't effectively tell us why we should), how can we?
1. We prefer articles with local information using local sources. We rarely run stories on specific organizations or events (e.g., a feature on one art school, one social service agency, etc.) and prefer stories on issues of concern to parents (e.g., art classes for kids, how to become a foster parent, etc.). In many cases, the editor can assist with finding appropriate contact sources.
We do ask that at least one parent be interviewed for the story as it makes for a more interesting article than just having quotes from various experts. A photo of the parent/children is requested. We ask that you do the best you can.
2. Please DO NOT use tab settings or other indentation markings to indicate the beginning of a new paragraph in your manuscripts sent via e-mail. DO NOT use more then one space after a period.
3. We request high rez/digital (jpg) photographs from all sources quoted, and that are applicable to the piece. Please send via email - no hard copies. Alert editor if you are working on a story and there is difficulty with this.
4. Your article should contain at least one sidebar of information related to the article. This may be a list of helpful websites, local groups or places, contact information or information from the article that can stand alone.
5. Include your name, address, telephone number, e-mail address, social security number and approximate word count at the beginning of your manuscript. A brief one or two line bio at the end of your manuscript to be included as an "author's note" should also be included. We request that all manuscripts be sent via e-mail, thereby eliminating the need to retype the article.
If you have questions, feel free to contact our editor at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 845-562-3606.
Thank you for your interest in Hudson Valley Parent magazine.